Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Monkeying around and a fun DIY wood grain background

Today's card is a fun kids birthday card featuring stamps from the newest release from Simon Says stamp. I love the little animals in this set they are so fun to color in copics or  paint with water colors and can be used for such a variety of cards!



I started by creating my wood grain background using a sheet of water color card stock, fine line masking fluid and my koi watercolors. To do this all I did was run lines of masking up and down the card stock and making some Knots, after covering the whole piece I let the masking fluid dry and started on my tree and monkey. I stamped the monkey and tree trunk in some memento rich cocoa, my palm leaves in memento bamboo leaves,and my leaves from the Simon Says Stamp Flowers on my mind set in mowed lawn distress ink. I then took my waterbrush and a multitude of green and brown distress inks (listed below) and painted and filled in all the leaves and monkey. It was very easy I just smooshed my inks on to my craft mat and loosely painted in the palms and over the leaves to make it looked more water colored. for the monkey I used lighter browns for the belly and the face and for some dimension on the body I used darker browns..and a little pink for the ears :)





Now that the tree and monkey were done I went back to the background. I used my waterbrush and my koi watercolors so I could get some good rich pigment on the wood, I picked up some browns and  mixed a few different shades and some spots with more water to give it a nice variation in color. when I was all done I took my heat gun and dried it all up, I rubbed all the masking off and came out with this awesome wood grain piece (I will definitely be doing this again).



Now to put my card together, I took my white card base and with the same distress inks I painted around the edge to help tie in some more of the green it helped ground the main panel which was popped up on some foam tape. I then attached my Palm tree that I had fussy cut and my leaves, that I had die cut and trimmed a bit, layering them with some different dimension using foam tape and glue dots. I nestled my monkey in the palms and added some extra coconuts cause they were pretty hidden. I stamped the happy birthday from the same Simon Baby Party Animals set and just rearranged and stamped the two little hearts on the end of birthday in some Classic Cherry ink from ranger. I cut it in the a banner shape and tucked in behind my tree. I added a light coat of Wink of Stella to some leaves and last but not least of course scattered some red and green sequins which really helped finish off this card.


Thanks so much for stopping by and reading all these words haha,
 Have A Great Day!!!!



3 comments:

  1. Such a clever woodgrain technique and an uber fun card design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea it was fun to make and not very hard at all :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete